Please email resume to [email protected]
St. Cuthbert Anglican Church in Delta, B.C. (corner of 82nd Avenue and 116th Street, North Delta), is seeking someone to provide organ and piano music accompaniment for scheduled worship services and other activities in support of the music ministry of the church. This person will be part of the music team which reports to the Rector. If, by choice of applicants, this role is filled by two individuals, the expectations will be the same for each person. The current organist is retiring and celebrates the support and team attitude of the music team at St. Cuthbert’s. For more information on St. Cuthbert’s, please view our website at www.stcuthbert.ca.
This is a year-round, part-time position. The organist, pianist and accompanist (referred to as “organist” in the rest of this posting), plays each Sunday for the 10:00 am service, accompanying the congregational hymns and sometimes adult choir anthems, including once a month working with the Worship Band at that service. Accompaniment may be needed for Christmas pageants and/or musicals as well. The music organization is done cooperatively by the music team and Rector. As part of the music leadership team, the organist is expected to advocate for the music program, including suggesting music and music styles. St. Cuthbert has a bright, inviting and modern sanctuary space, full sound system, a separate organ sound system, an Allen L-9, 33 stop Bravura series electronic organ with full pedalboard and MIDI, and a Yamaha grand piano.
Job Requirements ·
Play for Sunday services from 9:45 am to 11:45 am.
· Minimum of Grade 9 RCM or equivalent standing from a recognized music institution.
· Willing to rehearse sufficiently to maintain a high quality of music.
· Knowledge of Anglican liturgy, music, and the church calendar are assets.
· Experience in playing for church worship services, including understanding and familiarity with blended worship music (classical hymns, contemporary songs, anthems, and praise band music) or similar experience.
· Experience accompanying groups and individuals.
· Ability to take direction and work as a team player.
· Be sensitive, respectful and flexible in dealing with others within a church setting.
· Ability to communicate well and in a friendly manner with our church leadership, choir members, visitors and members of our congregation.
· Maintain a constant program of self-improvement.
· The organist is accountable to the Rector and is part of the music team.
· The organist will notify the Rector and team of planned absences a minimum of three weeks in advance to allow for scheduling a suitable replacement.
· The organist may arrange holidays, but not during Christmas, Lent and Easter seasons.
· A clean criminal record check is required for employment in this position.
· Support the church’s worship environment through suitable well-prepared prelude and postlude music as well as that presented by the choir, other performers, and musicians.
· Accompany weekly congregational singing, adult choir as needed, and occasionally soloists.
· Maintain an accurate account of organ and piano needs and maintenance and notify church leadership when there is a need for servicing.
Other opportunities/responsibilities ·
We encourage the organist to provide accompaniment for weddings, funerals and other special requested services; however accepting or declining each event is left to the discretion of the organist. Remuneration for these is negotiable based on a foundation amount set by the Parish.
Sunday service wages are on a fee-for-service basis comparable to the rates of the Royal College of Canadian Organists (see www.rcco.ca), plus currently at least $150 for funerals and weddings, and $50 for wedding rehearsals attended.
Please provide at least three references with priority given to previous employers, supervisors or teachers who can attest to musical ability, experience and character.
· Please provide evidence of certifications or acknowledgments from recognized music assessment organizations.
Please email your resume or any questions to [email protected]
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and, of those, each will be requested to audition. (Details provided upon selection).